​Café Renovation – Legal Requirements for Commencement of Trade

Author: John Maven   Date Posted:11 June 2014 

It does not matter what kind of business you are thinking of running, your functions will be governed by various business councils to ensure that you perform at a certain level or quality. Businesses need to comply with council rules, with regards to fire, access and hygiene. They also need to get approval for operating hours, business nature and seating capacity (whether indoor or outdoor).

If you are taking over an existing business, you may be saved a lot of time by simply applying all the current settings. This means operating the business the same way the old owners did, and merely making improvements that do not require you to make legal adjustments. All you need to do here is to look into the current council approvals. If you are alright with what is existing, you can apply it, and merely make adjustments where necessary.

Slow Business

Now the trouble with working with councils, especially when you are working with multiple sectors is that they all work at a pace and they tend to take their time. Much to your detriment, business owners are found enduring the wait and getting delayed, completely.

Good news, the NSW Government has found a way to make things easier for you. No longer do you have to deal with council delays because there is a downloadable PDF document called the Exempt and Complying Developments that you can print and keep for reference purposes.

With this document you will be allowed to operate even if you have pending processes to be approved by council. It gives businesses a detailed outline of things you need to comply with and as long you are clear with everything you can turn to this reference when you are confronted by any member or officer of the council. In other words, this simple document exempts you from a number of things.

Leave a comment

Comments have to be approved before showing up